The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

“He strode over to the ruined church. This, Blue had discovered, was how Gansey got places - striding. Walking was for ordinary people.”

I started reading this book because of the reviews I saw. As I started reading this book, it was clear that this is a book with words. So, I carried on reading, but at a point, I couldn't go further. I can say that I haven't read a book precisely like this one, so it was not a cliche read. However, it kind of got boring.

It is clear that something is wrong in the small town where Blue lives. Of course, then there are Raven Boys. I thought that the whole concept of the fate was interesting. From the very start, we know that Gansey is Blue's soulmate. Then the whole contest is to see is how they get together. Gansey is a weird person, and that makes him my favorite character in the book. As such, I was surprised that Adam came out of nowhere and caused all the confusion. And then there is Ronan the mysterious.

When I think about it, I feel like I would have liked the book if I hadn't felt as I turn each page that Stiefvater was talking with a child. I don't mind the third person writing, but sometimes it just makes it not worth it since it betrays the readers. We see things from someone else's mind rather than the characters, and the facts are not completely true or just not enough.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Seek: The Strange Case Continues

Review: The Beholder

Review: Evermore