White is for Witching

White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

“White is for witching, a colour to be worn so that all other colours can enter you, so that you may use them. At a pinch, cream will do.”

This book was another assignment. I loved the writing, and the story was well crafted. Oyeyemi brought her characters to life through words. However, what do you do if the villain is actually your house? What if that house protects only the women of the family? What if that turns them mad? I can say that it was a great way to remind myself of Edgar Allen Poe if nothing else.

Some of the moments in the story are sick, but what isn't. Life is not fair. We say that to our self all the time. The tale is gothic. Weird things are supposed to happen. They do.

I will be honest that I was grossed out multiple times. However, pain makes people do things. So, it is hard to blame the characters. The state of minds of this characters is so strong that it left me breathless. Each of them is acting towards something that is forbidden and they do have consequences. It is not a love story, however, twisted it might be. It starts with death and it ends in death. As I said, everything has consequences.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Seek: The Strange Case Continues

Review: The Beholder

Review: Evermore